Battle Royale: Squiring and Fight Nights


It’s that time of year again...and I don’t means just the holidays. The winter season of chapter and regional fights has begun!

So far the Hall has seen two chapter fight - Manchester Monarchs versus Boston Dark Knights and the Executioners versus Patriots (Quebec).

Back on the 3rd when the Monarchs and Dark Knights fought I squired for the first time; knowing that I’ll soon be fighting alongside with my witches, I figured now would be a good time to understand the components of setting up a knight fight, armor prep, and squiring procedures. It was a lot to take in, and the amount of work that goes into prep...if only folks could see behind the scenes footage of us running around. I’m glad though I did, and I plan to squire again for the 16th.

To begin, as a squire it is your duty to help the knights as much as possible and ensure a smooth transition between fights. This means making sure the fighters are well armored, straps adjusted to prevent potential armor failiures. Knowing though how these knights fight armor failiures are bound to happen; as long as us squires can quickly get the adjustments underway and timely when called out the game moves on. Into break periods we assist with unbuckling helmets, look over armor adjustments, and checking fighter’s morale conditions (they are quite tough!)

For prep work, we make sure our stylish tool belts aka squire aprons (made by the talented mother of Knights Hall, Jana :3 ) have all the essentials.

So that pretty much summarizes what we do as a squire. Let me get to those Executioners....

Holly macaroni and cheese.

I’ve seen footage online of this team fighting in games outside of the Hall, and I’ve been taken aback by their physical being and strengths in combat. What I witnessed on Saturday takes it farther beyond “being shook.” My adrenaline was rushing the entire game as I watched this group tackle down the massively enormous Quebec’s - whom I must note is just as physically capable as the Executioners. There were times when my voice cracked from shouting at my Executioners during nail biting moments, as they struggled with withstand the weight of bulky knights nailing them down with axes and shield. In the end, the Executioners pulled out a great win of 11 to 7.

There was blood. There was sweat. There were tears. And it was bloody damn amazing.





No comments:

Powered by Blogger.